Friday, January 20, 2012

Yarn....

So, I was thinking, how do you like your yarn? Because lately, I have really been observing what people knit with and what they like. There are animal fibers, like lamb's wool, merino, cashmere and mohair to name a few. Vegetable fibers like cotton, Linen, and hemp and Man-Made fibers such a rayon and nylon. Personally, I am all about the animals and a little about the veggies!!!

How about what class of yarn do yo like to knit with??  Yarn is divided into classes, fingering-weight, sport-weight, Double Knitting (DK), worsted. bulky, and extra bulky. My personal preferences are fingering, sport, DK and worsted. Working with these classes of yarn make me happy and my needles sing.

I would love to hear what you all love to knit with!

I has some fun on Sunday using a drop spindle and some roving and making yarn. I am not even going to tell you that what I was making was good, but it was quite a bit of fun and I could see myself getting a pretty drop spindle and a bit of roving at the Wool Festival. In fact, I am starting my wish list for just this occasion. I know that it is early to even be thinking about the festival, but I did a lot of research last year before I went and it saved me from a total mental breakdown. There is just SO MUCH TO SEE, that if you don't know what you are looking for or at things can get a bit hairy. So if you are going to any woolly festival, take the time to review your wish list and then plan a strategy. I had a blast last year and I am planning way ahead for this year!

Happy Knitting!!

1 comment:

  1. What I don't like would be easier to specify!
    I love wool. Glossy wool, matte wool, even crunchy-rough wool. Especially in natural sheepy colors. A bit of silk in the mix is very nice, as is a hefty dose of alpaca, or fine llama. Linen blended with some critter fiber can be a treat. Not much of a fan of knitting with pure vegetable fibers, though weaving with them can be a breeze. I generally prefer plied yarns to singles, and am happiest when I can work with needles size 4 through 7. I'll go down as far as a 2, or up as far as a 9. My most recent "wow, I really love that yarn" is the madelinetosh Pashmina. So nice!

    ReplyDelete