Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Needles in My Life....

I thought I would give you a little overview of my love of needles. I remember seeing my Memere always crocheting and sewing and I have an Aunt who is an avid sewer, so I guess you could say, it was in my blood. I began with a crochet class in the basement of our cities public library and then I took a sewing class in high school and that led to a love of quilting. After years of quilting, I decided that knitting deserved my attention, but it was not to be at that particular time. Instead, enter needlepoint! That lasted many years and is sill a current love, albeit, in stall mode at the moment. After a life changing move to parts unknown, I found a LYS (local yarn shop), and the needles and I have been getting to know each other again.

At first, I will admit, I was intimidated by all the beautiful things people around me were making, but me being who I am, I jumped right in, needles first. I did a simple pattern scarf for Mom...came out lovely. Then there was talk about SOCK CLASS....I was all over that like white on rice. How hard could it be I secretly thought to myself......! Well, the cast on kicked my but over and over again!! I thought I would never have a match to this hellish project. Then there were more whisperings about another class...MY FIRST SWEATER...! It looked difficult, but I thought, what the heck and I did it and learned so much....so much in fact that doing the other sock seemed down right easy and it pretty much was. Needed a small bit of guidance at the heel, but now I have a sweater and a pair of socks and more on the needles.

So this is my love affair with needles and the story of how it all began!

No comments:

Post a Comment